When a teacher creates a class, the teacher chooses a class type of TEACH Free or TEACH (if the teacher's organization has purchased premium seats).
- If the teacher chooses to make the class type TEACH, the full SmartMusic catalog can be assigned to the students in that class; each student joining the class consumes one of the organization's available TEACH student seats (unless that student is already in another premium class).
- If the teacher chooses to make the class type TEACH Free, the teacher can invite any number of students without consuming TEACH student seats. For more information, see our article on Platform Management.
At any time, Teachers and Administrators can change a class from TEACH access to TEACH Free access, or vice versa. Administrators are able to change the class type of any class in their organization, and Teachers are only able to change the class type of their own classes. Note: a Teacher or Administrator can only upgrade a class to Premium if the teacher of that class has TEACH access.
Here's how to upgrade a Free class to Premium access, or downgrade a Premium class to Free access:
1. Log in to https://admin.smartmusic.com and select Classes. The Manage Classes page appears. Click Details to view information about your class.
2. The Edit Class Details page appears. There are two different scenarios that could occur next, depending on what class type is currently selected for your class:
- If the current class type is Premium, a Downgrade button appears. Click Downgrade to change the class type to Free. This deallocates the TEACH student seats in use by students enrolled in this class (unless a given student is also enrolled in another Premium class).
- If the current class type is Free (and the teacher of that class has TEACH access), an Upgrade button appears. Click Upgrade to change the class type to Premium. This allocates a TEACH student seat to all of the students that are enrolled in this class (unless a given student has already been allocated a premium seat in another class).