In the new SmartMusic, you can import your own content from MIDI, MXL, XML, and MusicXML files to create assignments for students. You can use Finale, Musescore, Sibelius, or any other notation program to export these types of files.
- Step 1: export your notation files.
- Step 2: import your file.
- Step 3: verify the instrumentation.
- Step 4: save the content to your SmartMusic account.
Step 1: export your notation files.
Export an entire score from your notation program of choice.
- In Finale, select File > Export > MusicXML or MIDI File and select your destination folder.
- In Musescore, select File > Export and select MusicXML File, Compressed MusicXML File, or Standard MIDI File from the Save as type drop-down menu. Select your destination folder.
- In Sibelius, select File > Export > MusicXML and choose Compressed (*.mxl) or Uncompressed (*.xml) or select File > Export > MIDI. Select your destination folder.
Step 2: import your file.
Select the Navigation Icon and choose Compose.
The Select an option page appears. Select Import MusicXML or MIDI to choose a file from your computer.
Once a file is selected, it is uploaded and a confirmation message appears. Select Go to verify the instrumentation.
Step 3: verify the instrumentation.
The Staff properties appear and a part is highlighted in the music. Confirm the instrumentation by selecting OK or select Edit to make changes.
If Edit has been selected, use the drop-down menus to select a different instrument or use the text fields to edit the staff name. Select Cancel to hide these additional drop-down menus. Select Change to save your edits and then OK to confirm the Staff properties of the next instrument in the score.
Once all instruments have been selected, a confirmation page is displayed. Here, you can start to edit the music you imported and play it back to hear what it sounds like in SmartMusic.
Step 4: save the content to your SmartMusic account.
To save your content to your SmartMusic account select File and choose . If you'd like to edit the name of your composition select Edit name and enter in the name.
Select Save to save the composition to your SmartMusic account. View all of your uploaded content in the Content Manager (add link to Content Manager article). To be able to assign imported content it must be saved to your SmartMusic account.
The Composition saved! dialogue box appears to confirm that your composition has been saved to your account. You can either select Continue using Compose to import more content and edit previously imported content, or go to the Content Manager by selecting Manage my content.